About Me

My photo
I'm Carole, living in London, happily married and mum to two amazing boys.I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Rectal Cancer in April 2010. Surgery took place in November 2010 and I now have a permanent colostomy...Spinal mets were then diagnosed in October 2011...In January 2012 I was told of further spread to the hip area (multiple lesions)..My life expectancy is now 6-9 months. Walk alongside me on the last part of my experience with this..

Tuesday 24 August 2010

I'm so spoilt......

Today Dj answered the door and accepted a delivery for me. He's getting quite good at this now.

Which reminds me......

A week or so ago I asked him to sign for a parcel delivery because I was busy in the kitchen and he looked totally confused and said 'Can you PLEASE just come and do it Mum, I really don't want to'...
I didn't really get what the problem was - but I went and signed for it myself.

The following day another parcel delivery arrives (it is almost his birthday remember) and again I asked him to sign for the parcel. (It's part of my 'making him more independent' plan)...

He still obviously doesn't want to do it - but I stay where I am this time and say
'Just sign for it please Djamel'....
The delivery man gives him the pen and book and tells him where to sign - and YAY! he does it.

Now you might be thinking 'No big deal, it's just a parcel'....BUT everything that Djamel struggles with then manages to do IS a big deal, to him and to me. Dj has Aspergers and sometimes things (normal, day to day things) just really 'get' to him - so we're working on doing stuff even when you feel it's not what you want to do.

I then went to the door, took the parcel off him and said 'Great, well done, you did a good job there'....
He looks at me with his eyes filling with tears and says
"Is that money going to come straight out of my savings account now"....LOL! No wonder he hadn't wanted to sign, he thought he would get charged cash for the parcel....:-))

The sheer relief on his face when I explained 'No money involved' was a picture. He does like his cash to be left alone for sure.

Anyway, I'm completely off topic now....

Today, he signed (getting really good at it - now he knows it's 'free'...) for these gorgeous growing flowers in a basket with chocolates attached



Thank you to my parenting buddies: Tracy, Karen, Clare, Emma, Sarah, Rina, Cyra - so appreciated.
I met this lovely group of ladies a couple of years back through the old AOL message boards and joined them in a email parenting group. They are the sort of people you need around you in a crisis and one of them always has the answer...
When I first became unwell I didn't fill them in and I've only recently let on what the problem has been - their instant response, send flowers and chocolates and supportive messages on the blog.
Everyone should have friends like these...Thank you so much xx

Like I said, I am so spoilt (and I'm loving it) :-))

Dizzie likes them too...he's a cat of extremely good taste, he just loves sniffing flowers and evens settles down to sleep next to them.

Did anyone see the story of the horrid lady who put the cat, Lola, into the bin? Wicked person!

6 comments:

  1. Glad they arrived :) and look at your cat, awww how cute :) Have just seen the story about the lady who put the cat in the bin, how stupid and horrible of her.
    Hope everything goes ok at the hospital Carole and make sure you give them what far and get your answers xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked the flowers. I've been reading your blog with interest and so glad you've found the strength to do it, hopefully it's benefited you too.

    It's lovely seeing pictures of the boys, James looks so happy and I can't believe that DJ is going to secondary school already!

    Jack will be 19 in December and Rosie will be 16 in October. They both remember you well from our London trip and send their love.

    Laurence and I are still going strong and we're all planning to move to Hampshire next year.

    I hope that tomorrow you get the answers that are right for you. You are surrounded by loving and supportive people, which I'm sure helps immensley!

    Lots of Love

    Clare

    PS Can I borrow your brain surgery book when you've finished with it? :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi kaz :O) im glad you liked the flowers and choccys , all fine here kids are doing well and kt is still reading the letter books dj sent for her and she always says the same 'there from your friend in london' lol jordan is trying to get in RAF and harrys going up to yr 9 .

    so sending lots of love n hugs to you and your family , keep strong hunny ....

    ho hum off to play some gill scott heron :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cyra, am laughing at little Kt...still a little madam I hope?

    Can't believe that Jordan's so grown up now and also my little soldier, Harry....Year NINE already! OMG - where is the time going?

    Btw, we STILL have Jess...she still shares the bed with 'Chad' and a few select other stuffed toys... The rest have been relegated to a shelf, but not Jess because she's 'from the seaside' as Dj says :-)

    Pic's by email of the kids would be great at some point :-)
    Much luv xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh she wouldnt disappoint you a proper little madam :O)have no idea where the time is going tbh , kev moved back in a year ago now and its all going really well . glad jess is ok lol will def email you hunny xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless Dj!! got his head screwed on right there though. xx

    ReplyDelete