About Me

My photo
I'm Carole, living in London, happily married and mum to two amazing boys.I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Rectal Cancer in April 2010. Surgery took place in November 2010 and I now have a permanent colostomy...Spinal mets were then diagnosed in October 2011...In January 2012 I was told of further spread to the hip area (multiple lesions)..My life expectancy is now 6-9 months. Walk alongside me on the last part of my experience with this..

Wednesday 19 May 2010

Went to the GP ........

Today I went off to the GP to update my certificate for work - and to get something for the damn sinus infection that has now appeared.

I saw a GP that I'd not seen before and she was really lovely. Said she'd read up on my notes and wondered how I was now feeling about the colostomy situation - burst into tears and told her I'm still struggling with the idea but I KNOW it's not avoidable and I KNOW I have to go ahead with the op but it doesn't make me like the idea any more'...
She was brilliant, we talked for about half an hour (despite the appointments being '10 minutes only') and she assured me that the Charity I've contacted will be useful to me once they put me in touch with someone around my age who has a permanent colostomy bag. She also said I need to try to deal with ONLY the Chemo/Radio right now, then tackle the surgery and Colostomy issue, so in other words one step at a time.
She also reminded me that the Queen Mother had one - I laughed at this and said 'that's exactly what my mum said actually'.....

GP also said that if I continue to have difficulties with this, they can help me via anti-depressants. I agreed if I really can't find a way to get my head round it all properly then I'd consider it - but not right now because that can be a last resort not a first one. She thought that I was on the right track.

So, left the GP with a prescription for antibiotics for the sinus infection, renewal of prescription of different antibiotics for the urine infection (they want me to stay on them for at least 6 months and although the symptoms seem to have finally completely disappeared (YAY!) the Radiotherapy may well give me a urine infection towards the end of treatment - so makes sense to persist with them right now), an 'unfit for work' certificate and a further certificate that I have to send off to Dept of Health for exemption from prescription charges due to the Cancer diagnosis.

Am always OK after crying for a while and it's obviously what I need to do sometimes, so felt much better during the afternoon - just a bit tired because still not sleeping very well at night....unlike Dizzie who seems to have no problem sleeping at all :-)))



James and Leanne came round last night and we had dinner. I threw together some salad, burgers, kebab things, coleslaw that sort of thing and did a 'mushroom' dish for James to try (because he loves mushrooms and Leanne detests them so he hardly ever cooks them at home)..they actually turned out really well and I'd do them again - sometimes my experiments work quite well (unlike the blasted cookie disaster) :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment