About Me

My photo
I'm Carole, living in London, happily married and mum to two amazing boys.I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Rectal Cancer in April 2010. Surgery took place in November 2010 and I now have a permanent colostomy...Spinal mets were then diagnosed in October 2011...In January 2012 I was told of further spread to the hip area (multiple lesions)..My life expectancy is now 6-9 months. Walk alongside me on the last part of my experience with this..

Monday 17 May 2010

So many people.........

I was thinking today about the people that have tried in some way to make this easier for me. Whether small ways or big ways, everything has been appreciated....It's difficult because I know people want to do things to help me out, but right now it's hard for me to think of much to delegate.

But I just want people to know that everything helps, whether it's just an email, a joke, a text or something more hands-on and/or practical.

I shall now do my 'Oscar Acceptance' speech.........:-)

James & Leanne - thanks for the continual support, texts, phone calls, attending the meeting for me, taking me to lunch, listening to my worries and offering sensible advice, offering to decorate Dj's room, pack his suitcase, and yet still manage to have normal conversations with me where we put the world to rights! :-)

Rab - for being practical and not falling to pieces, making me look at things in the cold light of day and reach sensible conclusions, for the quiet hug that you sneak up behind me for, for not minding that I'm totally pre-occupied with myself these days, for asking how to operate the washing machine, washing the floors and helping out more at home, and for telling me that the bag 'doesn't matter because you'll be alive' :-)

Djamel - for asking sensible questions and making me laugh about the horrible bag (will it explode when you fart mummy?....can you drink Coke or will the bag expand?....don't come to my school if you're bald please....and numerous other amusing things he's thought of since), for not being afraid to say 'Cancer' when we talk, for believing me when I tell you if things change I WILL tell you, for deciding that Tunisia would be a good 'last' holiday if necessary, for trying to do a bit more for yourself...and for carrying on as normally as possible - it helps a lot :-)

Mum and Dad - for your unending support and love, offering to do ANYTHING I need, making Dj his favourite meat pies, offering to help out with uniform costs (we won't be taking you up on that, but the offer is greatly appreciated), for having normal conversations with me that don't involve Cancer in every sentence, coming over to help out with Dj & letting me sleep, making plans to help Rab when I'm having the treatment and Op - it all makes a difference :-)

Eddie - for being there for me, for checking up on me with numerous phone calls & texts messages, offering me financial help if we need it, offering to have Dj at weekends to give me a break, offering to talk to Rab if he feels under pressure and especially for making me laugh and treating me normally :-)

Sarah - for all the love you've always shown me, numerous text messages that literally make me LOL, refusing to let me be 'down' for longer than a text takes to arrive, saying you're coming on this journey with me, keeping my room nice for when I get to Rodos, making plans for the future that don't involve me being ill anymore, and just for being there all the time no matter what time of day or night :-)

Jacqui - for the hours and hours you've wasted with me in various hospital departments lately, for letting me cry and crying with me, for making me laugh and laughing with me, for the many text messages and the email jokes, for baking me cakes, force feeding me crisps and chocolate fingers, for acting normally and not always talking about me being ill, for offering to help out with Dj in any way you can, offering to take washing and dry it once I've had my op done, for telling me that you will be there no matter what I need and for being my friend :-)

Pat - for being my personal taxi service and making me laugh with your little one-liners

Louise - for all the sensible advice and love you've always shown to me, for thinking of practical ways to make myself healthier and manage food, for trying to think of something lovely for my birthday (sorry, I'm a party no-hoper this year!), for telling me that it WILL be ok and I WILL cope with this thing because 'you're strong and you're feisty and it can't beat you', and for being you :-)

Hazel - for the numerous text messages, cards you've organised, flowers from work, talking to Linda for me when I didn't feel able to, filling in people who've asked where I am, for the enormous support and sensible advice you gave me when I was in pieces over my news, for reminding me that I have so many people who care and just want to help me through this, for offering to come to appointments with me, inviting me out for lunch and telling me whatever I need you'll be there :-)

And all the other people below who have sent me cards/emails/text messages/phone calls or offered practical support:
The Office Crew (am running out of space to put the amount of cards you've now sent me - LOL), Christine & Karen from work, Joan, Veronica, Rita, Marvella, Julie, Linda D, Fabian, Lamia my lovely niece, Riad, Nayla, Carrie, Wole my little mate who really has experienced Cancer first hand, Sharon, Betty and if there's anyone else that I've forgotten it's because I'm doing this quickly and it doesn't mean it wasn't appreciated.

Also, all the people in Cyber life who have been supportive despite their own ongoing battles and day to day problems, especially my special cyber friend Alan and his lovely wife Christine. Alan has been good friend to me over the past couple of years and is one of those people in life that you just enjoy hearing from. He's sincere and caring and yet still manages to be funny and uplifting. Just what I've needed, especially recently.
I joined a Cancer forum to get some help while I was waiting for the results and it's been very helpful to me.
I started this blog because a poster on there (thank you Tony) suggested it would be a good way of keeping family informed especially during those times when you just don't feel like talking about things constantly. Sometimes I just say 'I'm fine' and don't want to talk about the fact that I've been in tears again - it's a lot easier to just put it on here and then I AM fine again :-)

I'll also thank my GP's, Surgeon, Nurses (both Colorectal and Stoma), Radiotherapy & Chemotherapy people and Gordon Brown for passing the law that said Cancer patients don't have to pay for prescriptions :-)
Good night :-)

1 comment:

  1. I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THOUGH, NO ONE DOES ,ALL WE CAN DO IS SAY WE WILL ALL BE THERE FOR YOU SIS LOVE YOU MILLIONS STAY STRONG THIS WILL NOT BEAT YOU YOU ARE TOO STRONG A PERSON FOR THAT.

    ReplyDelete