About Me

My photo
I'm Carole, living in London, happily married and mum to two amazing boys.I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Rectal Cancer in April 2010. Surgery took place in November 2010 and I now have a permanent colostomy...Spinal mets were then diagnosed in October 2011...In January 2012 I was told of further spread to the hip area (multiple lesions)..My life expectancy is now 6-9 months. Walk alongside me on the last part of my experience with this..

Monday 10 May 2010

Mum, Dad & Sister

Today, as planned, I got together with Mum and Dad and broke the news to them that I have Cancer and will need treatment as discussed in previous posts.

Both were great and listened to what I had to say and took it pretty much in their stride. Mum had an idea of what I was going to tell them anyway but it doesn't make it any easier to actually hear one of your children say 'I have Cancer'.
They've both said no matter what needs doing, they'll be there for us and together we'll all get through this. Thanks Mum & Dad - love you both lots - stay strong, stay cheerful and just reassure me that I don't have to worry about Dj after school etc. That makes a big difference.

I think it helped that I've had time to get my head around things before talking to them - if I'd tackled this on the 28th April I wouldn't have been calm and that would definitely have made it harder on them.
I explained why I'd waited til after the holiday and stressed that I felt then - and still do now - that it was the right decision.

I was then going to ring Sarah during the evening but because she's telepathic (LOL) she called me during the afternoon.
Had a chat with her, filled her in as much as you can on the phone, reassured her that I'm coping with all this and said I'd send her the blog address later so that she can read it at her leisure and find out all the details in her own time.

She said exactly what I thought she'd say 'I'll come now if you need me' ...bless...love you loads Sis but think I'll need you more afterwards when I'm totally stressed out about my 'bag', my missing body parts and learning to live a new way :-)

M, look after my little Sis (I know you will anyway, but I HAVE to say it...) Because she's so far away she's bound to worry more but I've promised I'll update this blog regularly so that she feels she's completely in touch with what's happening and sees that we're not keeping things from her just to stop her worrying.

Seriously Sis, I'm coping now - I'm finding stuff to laugh about even and I intend to stick around....... So do what I did, cry and then move on by remembering it could have been so much worse had they not found it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment